spark growth issues... waSRe: SSTCs - High Input Power vs. High Input Voltage

There's a lot of complex processes going on when a spark grows, and I think
that SSTCs might be able to shed some useful light on what's going on, just
because they are more "controllable" than a more traditional spark gap coil.

There's a process in growth which occurs very, very fast when the leader
develops. This occurs on a nanosecond time scale, so I think that the
inductance and capacitance of the topload and the spark channel that
already exists is the primary determining thing.

Then, there's the spark channel development process, where the air actually
gets hot enough to glow and conducts signficant current.  This one might
take a bit longer, if only because you have to get enough energy into the
air to heat it up to 7000K or so.  This one probably occurs on a time scale
comparable to the RF frequency, i.e. 10s of microseconds, as current flows
in and out of the spark channel/topload/etc and the secondary inductance.

Finally, there's an even slower process where sparks develop in previously
hot/ionized areas.. this is the "bang rate" influenced one.

So, I think that no matter how fast your RF envelope rises, the leader
growth is more affected by the Ctop.  Small Ctop >> short leaders

Fast RF envelope rise times probably help most in the second type above..
heating the channel and growing the body of the spark.

In any case, the peak powers in spark/disruptive type coils are a lot
higher than they are in most SSTCs, and that peak power probably has a lot
to do with spark growth.  There's probably a "growth rate" to "power
available" relation, and a "growth rate" to "total max spark length" relation.

The field in TC spark situation is so highly non-uniform that I don't think
topload voltage, per se, has a lot to do with it, other than needed to
overcome IR and L*di/dt drops in the spark channel to keep the field high
enough at the end to promote propagation.  At some point, you can probably
consider the growing spark as a long wire with a sharp point connected to
the topload C, and the inductance and capacitance of that "wire" is going
to start to dominate what's going on.

Consider that the capacitance of the spark is around 1pF/cm, so, by the
time you've got a 24" spark out there (60cm), the capacitance of the spark
(60 pF) is more than the capacitance of the topload.