Re: Fixing a Broken Plasma Ball

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: Fixing a Broken Plasma Ball

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

 > Unfortunately, neither of these methods will work.  If you fill an empty
 > glass globe with a gas such as neon or blended gases, ie, neon, xenon,
etc,
 > the globe will only work for about a month.
 >
 > The globe must be electrically bombarded before filling

How is this done given that the globe has only ONE terminal
whereas from what I've read so far, bombarding requires two terminals
connected
a hefty transformer delivering 20kV at a few Amps?
Even if the globe could be  bombarded using the single electrode wouldn't
the glass -which acts as a small capacitor in series with the discharge-
severely limit the current -making bombarding impossible unless a frequency
much higher than 50/60 Hertz was employed?

and also be baked in
 > a large oven to just 300 degrees below the melting point of the glass.

Does the baking to just 300 degrees below melting point make the glass
conductive so it can be bombarded in the normal way ? Surely the conductive
glass would short-circuit the bombarder, wouldn't it?

I know this is getting OT but I have seen tubes like this with either only
one electrode, or an internal electrode plus an isolated strap or band
attached to the outside of the glass envelope - just how are these tubes
processed?

Jolyon