RE: SSTCs - High Input Power vs. High Input Voltage

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi SSTC'ers,

 > By increasing voltage (keeping other system aspects constant), you
 > will get a higher RF power envelope and thus larger arc output. By
 > keeping other system aspects constant I mean the actual circuit.
 > Of course, the overall power will increase with increased voltage.

Yes, that's very true. If you up the input voltage, you're upping the
input power, and it arcs farther. This is because of V/Z where V is
input voltage and Z is the input impedance of the primary/secondary.
More Vin = more Iin = more Pin. I don't disagree with this in any way
shape or form.

What I do disagree with, is that using a high voltage can result in a
faster rise in the RF envelope *moreso than by using other methods*.
It sounds like I was unclear on this statement with other posts, my
mistake, sorry. But this is basically what you're saying right
Cap'n?? That you must have high Vinput coil in order get a fast
envelope rise, to get huge arcs?

If it is, then I will say that you can easily have a super-fast rise
in RF envelope by all the following methods, which equate to input
power.

a). More input voltage than current
b). More input current than voltage
c). Comb. of both.

Since super-fast envelope rises = super big arcs, all these can get
you a high power, long-arcing 6'+ arc SSTC. I want to say the guy
that got 60" arcs was using a H-bridge with more current than voltage
input (probably running 240V). If he was using the series-MOSFET HV
technique, I think we would all know about it.....like we all know
about it now with The Captain's coil. It is an incredibly cool
topology......and may be the ONLY route to go (yah I said it!) for
SSTC's that arc more than 8 or so feet due to impedance matching
issues, and # primary turns.

Although, impedance matching to a Tesla resonator gets
proportionately easier at low frequencies.

In 3 years, I bet we have SSTC's that arc 15 feet or more, using
H-bridge's of IGBT's -at- 50kHz, 240V input, and 2 - 5 turn primaries.
Of course I really have no idea. But anyhow there's no scientific
reason it couldn't be done. (cost is not a scientific reason!!!)
Higher frequency Huge-SSTC's (12" wound with 16 gauge) could
definately benefit from using Dan's series-MOSFET HV-input strategy.
Impedance matching to the resonator would be a dream with this
setup!!!! And MOSFET's are fast...

 > Yes, as I stated in my previous email.  I replied to your
 > original email  line by  line and mentioned that before
 > you gave mention to your friends coil.  Thats awesome your friend
 > got 32 inches

Sorry...it was a timing thing between emails. Didn't see it before I
posted.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP