Re: SSTCs - High Input Power vs. High Input Voltage

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > What I do disagree with, is that using a high voltage can result in a
 > faster rise in the RF envelope *moreso than by using other methods*.
 > It sounds like I was unclear on this statement with other posts, my
 > mistake, sorry. But this is basically what you're saying right
 > Cap'n?? That you must have high Vinput coil in order get a fast
 > envelope rise, to get huge arcs?

Not really,  I'm merely saying using a higher input voltage is a *one*
relatively easy way to increase spark length.  I'm not saying its required.
I agree with you
statements below:

 > If it is, then I will say that you can easily have a super-fast rise
 > in RF envelope by all the following methods, which equate to input
 > power.
 >
 > a). More input voltage than current
 > b). More input current than voltage
 > c). Comb. of both.
 >
 > Since super-fast envelope rises = super big arcs, all these can get
 > you a high power, long-arcing 6'+ arc SSTC. I want to say the guy
 > that got 60" arcs was using a H-bridge with more current than voltage
 > input (probably running 240V). If he was using the series-MOSFET HV
 > technique, I think we would all know about it.....like we all know
 > about it now with The Captain's coil. It is an incredibly cool
 > topology......and may be the ONLY route to go (yah I said it!) for
 > SSTC's that arc more than 8 or so feet due to impedance matching
 > issues, and # primary turns.

I'm not sure of that.  There are a few people who claimed to have gotten
very large arcs (such as the guy with the 6 ft arcs), but I have yet to find
any detailed information or
descriptions of these coils or pictures for that matter.  And i'm sure all
of us here would like to get more information on these "huge arc" sstcs.
There would definitely be a lot to
learn from these "huge arc" pioneers.  I wonder if there is any way to
contact these individuals and get some specifics of these coils.

SOLID STATE IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!

Of course, try telling that to the big program managers here at work
(regarding solid state radar transmitters). . .
My team at work however did just finished designing and building a 300kW, CW
X-Band radar transmitter.

The Captain