Re: Crackle Neon Tubes and tesla coils . . .

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

 > Ed,
 >
 > Who was the person that had the large crackle tubes at your place last
 > year??  The crackle tubes looked to be fairly old, but looked awesome!
 > I'd love to have some those size for myself, but from what i've been hearing
 > they are very very expensive!  But, an awesome addition to any mad
 > scientist's lab!
 >
 > Dan

	When I was a kid back in Missouri before WW2 I used to work on the PA
systems in skating rinks.  (Big deal back then, out in the boonies at
least.)  The big Wurlitzer juke boxes had "crackle tubes" on the front
which flashed in synchronism with the music.  I always assumed they were
just connected between the plates of the output tubes (around 500 V p-p
swing) but never messed with the machines as they were "on someone
else's turf).  There are a lot of guys selling those old machines (along
with an awful lot of other ridiculous stuff) at exhorbitant prices but
perhaps one of them might have some extra tubes or some out of a junker.

Ed