new flyback transformer HV question

Original poster: "Ryan Molecke by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ryan-at-molecke-dot-com>

Hi All,

    Thanks greatly to those who have commented on this thread already!

    So now I have a new, $1.50 flyback transformer with no internal diodes. I
wound 4 turns of 20 gauge (or so) wire for the primary. I have 2 turns for
my flyback. Sparks started flying!

    I found that if the ratio between flyback/primary turns has to be low
enough so that you don't punch too much V through the transistor and then
the sparks stop (at least this is my theory of why the sparks stop
sometimes). I'm getting sparks at about 1cm which I can drag to about 3cm.
When I hook up to a clear 40W bulb I get plasma in the bulb!!

    I am about to try the 2 transistor version of this circuit. I'm sure it
will pump up the voltage as I am told it will by fellow coilers. Before I
try this I have some questions/comments I would like to bounce off
knowledgeable people.

    I was unable to take the transformer apart. I wound the wire through the
ferrite core with some black electrical tape around it. I'm now seeing
corona from both primary and flyback, apparently into the ferrite core. My
poor man's plasma bulb also shows the tendency to have an orange flame that
arcs right to the glass. hmmmmmmm.

    I'm going to have to build my own flyback completely from scratch, it
seems. Does anyone know what the orange flame instead of bluish plasma
means?

Thanks!
Ryan Molecke