lucky MOSFET find

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Gang,

Just as the human eyes adjust to the conditions of the available light,
they adjust to spot the contour of parts that are needed for current
projects.
Like today, when I took a stroll on the local scrapyard, and suddenly
found myself staring at a heap of IXYS IXTN79N20 MOSFET`s carefully
removed from what appears to be working equipment.

I grabbed 30 pcs. and wondered if they could be made to do service in an
audio modulated SSTC, for example.

They don`t appear on http://www.ixys-dot-com
but from the type markings they appear to be 79A 200V types.
In the unloaded state, the Gate-Source capacitance is 17.7nF, but this
might change.

How do i test them?

I tried hooking one sample up to a motorcycle lead battery, and apply 12
volts to the gate, that caused current to flow, so that the isotop
casing got hot, didn`t break it.

But there has to be a better way, and I don`t want to break my
Plasmatronic board by just plugging them in, to see what happens.

Cheers, Finn Hammer