Re: Question on bleed off resistor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Those resistors are way, way too big.
Even at best bet with 4 of those resistors in series you are looking at 2000
ohms -at- 400 watts.
With 7500VAC, you are talking almost 4A continuous across the resistors (if
the power supply could actually supply that much)
Even if the supply could handle that current (which is cannot), the power
dissipated would be about 30,000 watts ! ! ! !

For bleeders at high voltage, you need something in the high megaohms.

Something 10,000,000 to 100,000,000 (10meg to 100meg) ohms depending on the
voltage and power of the resistor.

In MMC capacitors, we typically use 10Meg ohms across each capacitor.  So
its not uncommon to see 50meg to 100meg bleeder resistance across
an MMC array.

But, 500-2000 ohms is waaaayyy to big!

The Captain