Re: Synch for a PDT coil?

Original poster: "Bart Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi David,

When I read this, I immediately thought of Kevin Eldgridge and his Bigg
Coil in Oklahoma. If you remember, Kevin built a 30KVA system using a
120 bps sync gap and 0.173uF cap (note, this is STR). He had good
success with it (after removing the series static gap). I'm calculating
nearly 21 ft sparks (accounting for energy per bang at 120 bps). I think
he was about 22 ft at the time. His coil might be capable of 24 to 25
foot sparks at higher bps, but it would take something in the
neighborhood of 600 bps. Of course, there are other ways to get there
(say 200A at about 48 KVA would do it). If only going to 240bps on his
coil, it would be difficult to see a difference (and it would need to be
the same gap quality or better). Regardless, Kevin showed that 120 bps can
do very well at high power.

Low power NST's take advantage of LTR cap sizes when running sync mainly
to reduce stress to the transformer and cap (not sparklength advantage).
Higher power systems typically run STR, but have a cap size large
enough to not worry about stressing the cap (and the transformer is
already rubust).

There is a difference between your coil and Kevins, and it's value is
well over 100+ amps. With your 10 ft sparks previous at 300 bps, I would
expect your running between 5 and 6 KVA with the arc welder ballasting.
I personally don't think you'll gain length with 120 bps unless you
allow for more current. I'm showing with the same input, a drop of 3"
length at 120 bps on your system. In reality, should that occur, the
only change you'll notice is audible.

You are correct about the cap charge. It was at about 12.7 kVp (63%) at
300bps. At 120 bps, you will increase cap voltage to 18.6 kVp (90%).
With that info your probably thinking longer sparks, right? Well, not
necessarily.  The energy at the gap at 120 bps (eJ*bps), I show 1715,
but at 300 bps I show 2007. Increasing bps does not always indicate an
increase of bang energy because energy is defined by the cap size and
charging system. This is true for all systems (both small and large).
Note, this just pertains to very basic raw numbers. It does not consider
efficiency's involved or other spark related issues.

With all that said, you still have to build it to prove it <grin>. There
are a lot of variables involved and unless they are all accounted for,
the unexpected occurs. If your in a position of not wanting to do the
grinding on a motor (if it might not help), then I would advise to leave
it as is. The fact that your going to a G10/tungsten rsg is a nice
upgrade, and depending on the efficiency of the previsous gap, this
change might make a difference by itself.

Take care,
Bart