Melting point of NST secondaries in "hot" depotting?

Original poster: "Erik Graham Byng by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ebyng-at-knox.edu>

'evening list:

I've got a 12/30 NST with a dead HV terminal, which I'm hopeing to solve by
depotting it, maybe a little cleanup and then repotting in
oil.  Manufactured in '83, the (tar?) potting is by no means soft.  I've
chipped a sample off of the top to see if I could actually stick the NST in
the oven and pour off the tar, but its got a pour temperature of close on
300F.  Would bringing the case, core and windings up to that temperature
affect the enamel on the secondary windings, or are the windings robust
enough to handle it?  I plan on bringing the temperature up slowly, but one
never knows...
?

Erik Byng.
---