Re: Alternate toroid shapes

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/13/03 11:04:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hello,

Has anyone done any experimentation into toroid topload shapes other than
the typical round designs that all use?  Visualize a cross section of the
minor diameter that is tear drop shaped as opposed to perfectly round, with
the point of the tear drop facing out.  Are there any inherent advantages to
a shape such as this, and if so, is the reason no one utilizes such a shape
because of construction difficulties?  I couldn't find any reference to
toroid designs other than the standard in the archives, and was hoping that
someone could enlighten me.

Thanks,
John Richardson

Hi John,
     The typical TC Toroidal topload (more specifically a Torus) is usually
chosen because the uniform radius of curvature reduces corona discharge,
and the simple symmetry lends itself to a single set of equations for
calculating the capacitance. I believe that the shape you describe having a
sharp ridge around its equator would enhance coronal discharge and preclude
the higher voltage buildup provided by the conventional shape. Also, I
believe each and every asymmetric shape would have to have its own unique
set of equations to do the Capacitance calculations. This seems a major
undertaking for what I believe would be reduced performance.

Matt D.