Re: my coils not up to snuff

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I agree with the other posters about the spark gap needing some air flow
and also that tuning needs to be improved.

I disagree with Robert about the capacitor voltage, since the caps are
rated at 600vAC.  I would imagine they have a DC rating of 1600V?  If so,
then I would remove about 9 capacitors (resulting in a string of 16) for a
value of about .019uF (voltage rating over 25kV).  This is about the
desired LTR value for a static gap coil.  LTR capacitors prevent
overvolting the primary circuit components (caps and NST) because the
resonant rise effect is significantly reduced.  This will also allow you to
tune with fewer primary turns.

What brand and part number caps are you using?

good luck,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group