RE: Capacitor help

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

Do you take capacitor charging time into consideration when selecting a
primary capacitor? The calculations below using the standard capacitor
charge equation indicates that the TC pri cap is not being charged to full
voltage when the NST is the power supply. I have been researching this
problem and have reached an impasse.

For example the charging time for each half cycle of 60 Hz (120 BPS) is

  1/4x60 = 4.17 ms. The capacitor charging time to 98% of 15000 is 4 time
constants.

    t = 4(-RC)(ln(V2/V1))

For a 15KV/60 ma NST the R=Z=V/I= 15000/.06 = 250000 ohms

     .00417 = 4(-250000xC)(ln(1/15000))

      C = .00417/(4(-250000)(-9.62)) = 433 pf max size pri cap.

This is saying that a 15KV/60 ma NST cannot charge the pri cap to anything
near the 15000 volts if the cap is larger than 433 pf and the charging time
is 4.17 ms. This cap is 24 times smaller than the resonant cap! What is
wrong with these calculations?

What are other coilers doing regarding the charge time when selecting the TC
pri cap? I believe this TC design question has never been brought up before
on this List?

John Couture