RE: Metal Screws and Salt Water Caps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Sean:

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The primary winding is 169V
above/below mains-ground.  But if the NST core is tied to RF ground,
depending upon how good that RF ground is, that could be hundreds, maybe
thousands of volts above mains-ground.  This is why:
1) EMI filters are used between the NST and the mains, and
2) A good RF ground, particularly with higher powered coils, is important.

Is it possible that the RF ground at the Teslathon was less robust than
usual, and once that primary-to-core breakdown was made, subsequent repair
efforts were largely ineffective?

Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >>Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>