Re: wima fkp1 mmc

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

yeah, I know you could series and parrallel more capacitors, but then you
end up with a mmc that can withstand more voltage than ever needed. I was
thinking it would be cheaper to find capacitors that could stand twice the
current instead of buying 4 capacitors with half the current rating. If I
was going to make my own capacitor, it would certainly be better this way.
Since geek group capacitors are cheaper, I will just make an mmc instead of
emmc ;-).

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz "

Jimmy,

The great thing about MMCs is that you can make them with as many parallel
strings of series caps as you want. There is no reason for MMCs to be the
power limiting factor (except possibly the cost). For example, my MMC is
made up of 16 parallel strings of 12 0.022 mF caps in series. Thus, if you
are worried about one string of 15 in series not being able to handle the
current, then go to 2 parallel strings of 30 in series. Using a sufficient
number of caps, one can make Electrum class TC MMCs that should be just as
robust as the big Maxwells.
--Steve Young