RE: NST TEST GRAPHS (was NST power test)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Jim -

I agree that about 5% for the losses is a good guess for the graph shown at

       http://www.mgte-dot-com/tesla/rc-neon-curve.pdf

The voltage at the .011 uf capacitor was 6200 volts and the current was 22.4
ma giving 139 VA. At 5% the losses would be about 7 watts.

   Power Factor = W/VA
                = 7/139 = .05 x 100 = 5.00%

The phase angle would be arc cos(7/139) = 87.11 degrees.

  The Q factor can be found by

    Q Factor = tan(PF) = tan(87.11) = 19.8

This is close to the 20 you estimated.

The input (primary) circuit also gave some interesting numbers. For the .011
uf capacitor the VA was 96 and watts 40. The PF was 41.7 percent with a
65.35 phase angle. The 40 watts would include  the losses in both the
primary and secondary circuits. Note on the graph that for the .011 uf cap
the 96 VA of the primary is less than the 139 VA of the secondary as shown
above.

The graph was similar to the above for a NST load that consisted of a .01623
uf capacitor in series with increasing resistance. Some of the resistances
gave output VA greater than input VA. The curve for the input VA was non
linear and showed a maximum at about 100 Kohms. This would be an optimum
operating condition for this NST with this type of load. This would also be
the point of maximum overall efficiency. It is obvious that graphs of this
type would be very useful to coilers for finding the most efficient NST load
combination. But how do you relate this load combination to Tesla coils?

John Couture