Re: Energy storage in primary?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jolyon,

The quenching switch (SW2) should have the same low ON voltage as the main
current interrupting switch (SW1). The sequence of operation would be to
close SW1 and SW2, allowing primary current to build to the desired level
through SW1. Then open SW1, allowing the primary LC circuit to ring
(through SW2), beginning energy transfer to the secondary. Once all of the
primary's initial bang energy (0.5 Lp(Ip^2)) has been transferred to the
secondary, open SW2. Although a self-commutating SCR, bridged with a
reversed diode to permit reverse conduction, might be cobbled up, a better
choice for SW2 would likely be an IGBT or power MOSFET. And yes, connecting
SW2 in series with C1 to ground would simplify biasing of SW2. Using a
monostable to provide control for SW2 would work (nice and simple), or one
could detect the point of minimum primary energy or maximum secondary
energy (providing more flexibility).

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--