Re: Energy storage in primary?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > Other than saturating reactors what if any are the other possible options
 > for quenching in a current-driven TC?

Something electronic, and bidirectional.

But why quenching? The primary in this case is practically lossless,
since there is no spark gap to eat energy. What would be the difference
in the performance of the coil, since the most of the energy will be
dissipated in the secondary system? I think that nobody ever verified
if there is some effective difference in the visible output with or
without quenching, provided that the same amount of energy is
dissipated at the secondary system.

And remember that a coil with current input will be very different
from a conventional capacitor-discharge system. It may be not
practical to build one with a similar range of inductances,
capacitances, and operating frequencies. Induction coil x Tesla coil.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz