RE: Combining several caps and RMS / PEAK Voltages

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

The peak voltage is not RMS voltage * 2 as you stated.  For a sine wave, the
peak voltage
is SQRT(2) * RMS Voltage.  So with would your 4000 Vrms * 1.414 = 5640.
Sounds like you did something wrong as 5640 volts is very close to the peak
voltage as calculated
from a 4000V RMS source (sine wave).

How are you measuring your RMS and peak voltages???

The Captain

Today we've measured the NST, and the secundary RMS voltage is 5640, giving
a peak voltage of about 8,5 kV. (<I've learned! :D) Actually quite strange
numbers, as it's not near the 2x4000 it said, yet the peak is higher..
might this've happened because we measured at an input of 2 VAC, giving an
output of 54,8 VAC?