RE: HV Wire - electrical tape?

Hi All,

Dan makes a good point here.  RG-8 coax is used for many high voltage
applications but they tend to be low current limited situations.  If that
cheap ol' RG-8 shorts out on say an X-ray or other low current sources,
they will just shut down.

However! If you are running BIG power, that RG-8 will explode dramatically
if it fails.  Guess how I know this =:O  The arc will cause a big pressure
build up under the outer insulation and just blow it off.  Then the coax is
like a fire cracker fuse and just burns down to the source...

For low current limited things, RG-8 is cheap and works great.  But, if you
have big power behind it, that RG-8 can blowup like a flare!!  "I" would
strip the outer shield off it for high power use and just use that thick
polly insulation all by itself.  If you ground the outer braid, it is just
too tempting for the high voltage to sneak a path to it and make a big bang...

Cheers,

         Terry