Re: insulating secondary coils

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Christopher \"CajunCoiler\" Mayeux by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>

 > On the topic of insulating secondary coils, I was reminded
 > of a product that I used to see in the electronics catalogs
 > a while back, called "corona dope" which was used on the
 > 2nd anode connection in television sets.  Does anyone know
 > if this product is still around?  And if so, how good would
 > it be for insulating/coating secondary coils?
 >
 > ---
 > C.L. Mayeux
 > Owner, MSB Data Systems
 > http://www.msbdatasystems.tk

Hi All,

YES! Corona dope is still around.  It is made by GC Electronics.  It ran
about $4 a 2oz bottle, last time I bought it.  I just saw a bottle 2 days
ago at the electronics store.  I have never coated a coil with it, so I
can't say if it will work.  I used it once over  a polyurathane coated coil
to try to stop top turn corona with no success.  It tended to melt/wrinkle
the polyurathane on the first coat. Subsequent coats smoothed out.  The coil
still blew thru it after 30 coats.  Now I only use it for splices on coils
before I varnish them.  So far no splice has ever broken down.  I will be
posting a picture of the above coil in response to another post.  It's of a
beautiful corona "ring around the top".

David E Weiss