Re: Questions on first coil...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/26/03 2:41:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>    Now my questions.
>    1.  Secondary is wrapped on PVC form because that is what I had is
>that okay?  How much Loss is it compared to Acrylic?

Brad,

You won't see any difference in spark length using a PVC form
compared to an acrylic form.  The difference in loss is not
significant.    I can't see how you can have only
about 800 turns of 28awg wire on a 22"  form.  I have about 1300
turns of 28awg wire on a 23" form.  I'm assuming you're using
magnet wire.  If you're using PVC insulated wire, that's a different
story.  Maybe you have quite a distance where there's no wire
at each end of the form making the actual winding less
considerably less than 22".  I seem to remember that 800 turns
is only *about* 12" of winding length with 28awg magnet wire.

John