RE: SSTC on Ebay and TOROIDS

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Not really.  Typically with SSTC's you always have to use a break-out point
with the toroid.  Due to the characteristics
of extremely tight coupling typical with SSTC's, without a break-out point,
there would be severe flash-overs to the secondary form.  The toroid will
allow larger voltages to build up (as well as lower your operating frequency
a bit) and increase your streamer length.  I can run my SSTC without the
toroid (albeit at a higher resonant frequency) and get about six inch
streamers. With a toroid, I almost double the length of my streamers at
120VAC, half-rectified input.  Of course, the slightly lower frequency may
help a bit, but probably not as much as the addition of a toroid.

But you are correct, with no break-out point, the toroid would likely
supress most streamers.

Dan

With 3" sparks, a toroid larger than a lifesaver candy would suppress any
sparks at all.

KEN