Re: A double resonance solid state Tesla coil

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Pardon me, but isn't having a capacitor in SERIES with the primary winding a
recipe for HUGE circulating currents which will not simply be confined only
to the primary and associated capacitor but will also flow in the DC power
supply rails, the rectifier and the mains wiring as well?

Would this not be the unfortunate consequence of making the primary part of
a series resonant tuned circuit where by definition the capacitive and
inductive reactances cancel at the resonant frequency leaving only the
resistance of the wiring to restrict the current?

If this is the case and presuming  the primary resistance is small, then
logically the circulating current will be LARGE.

What you are saying sounds suspiciously like power-factor correction where
capacitors are connected to inductive loads to eliminate the inductive
wattless current that would otherwise circulate on power distribution
networks only here the capacitors are connected in parallel with the load,
not series. This means that the inductor and capacitor form a tank circuit
and a heavy circulating current flows in the "tank" but not in the supply
wires.
The reason for this is that the dynamic impedance (i.e. the impedance "seen"
across the supply wires) of the parallel-tuned circuit at resonance is high,
in theory infinite if resistance is zero.

So,  from the point of view of reducing the effect of heavy circulating
currents in the DC rails and mains wiring wouldn't  a capacitor in parallel
with the primary be better than one connected in series?

Jolyon.