TC strike length

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

A true strike length can quickly and easily be determined with Bob
Svangren's special subdivided multiple sparkgap for sec. coils.  Perhaps
Terry has this in the archives --- it was published in an earlier issue of
TCBA.  Essentially it was a long series of wooden dowels hanging from a
plastic fishline.  Each down has a 1 inch long finishing nail (head cut
off) spaced at 1 inch intervals.  We use a short 10 ft. unit for measuring
our small and med coils, and a 40 foot long version for measuring our
larger coils.  The dowels are glued in place to provide a 1 inch spark gap
for each nail head.  We used dowels 1.5 inches long.  Approx 200 nails on
our large unit.

This system produces accuracy down to 1 inch.  This length, of course, says
nothing about the actual output potential of a TC but will give results
consistent when working with a coil at a particular power level.  Output
potential is easily determined from the standard equation and k = 80% is a
useful value.  Output potential may be measured with the single pulse
method I've previously described.  Terry Fritz's antenna system also
provides very accurate method of potential measurement.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913