Re: Teflon as RSG-disk material

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

 > Has anyone tried this before???
 >
 > I wondered if teflon would be a good material for making my new RSG disk...
 > I searched the web for this but only found G10 and tufnol disks, both
 > materials I can't get hold of.
 > Teflon has very good heat resistance properties but does it have enough
 > strength to carry four 1/4" electrodes on a 12" dia, 1/2" thick teflon disk
 > at 3000rpm .....
 >
 > any suggestions welcome.
 >
 > sincerely
 >
 > Christoph Bohr

	Teflon is expensive and has a tendency to cold flow - OK for short term
but not forever.  Although I haven't done it I suspect a perfectly
decent rotor could be made from good hardwood, maple for instance.  It
wouldn't melt and you could tell if there was any charring going on.
Might not withstand minutes of continuous operation at high power, but
how many guys go in for that?

Ed