Re: Teflon as RSG-disk material

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "RMC by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<RMC-at-richardcraven.plus-dot-com>

 >  > >I wondered if teflon would be a good material for making my new RSG
 > disk...
 >
 >  > >any suggestions welcome.
 >
 > It's too soft and expensive. Phenolic (Tufnol) or similar is still the best
 > material to go for.
 >
 > RMC, England

	In "the good old days of spark" many RSG's were made of metal, with an
insulating hub to keep the HV out of the motor.  The simplest design I
can think of would be one where the hub was fitted into a hole bored in
the center of an aluminum disk and with the studs mounted to the
aluminum "in the usual way".  This design would have added cooling by
heat conduction to the metal plate which in turn would be cooled by
radial air flow.  Any kind of hub material should work as long as it was
stiff enough to run true and, since it would be contained by metal,
strength wouldn't be too important.  I would think that a 4" diameter
would be more than ample, saving on material costs if you decide to go
out and buy something exotic.  Wood, phenolic, etc. should be fine.  An
inner metal hub would be needed for mounting to the motor shaft.  I'd
think it would be a very very simple lathe job.  The metal hub could be
made first, the insulation bored out to fit the hub and then the OD
trimmed to fit a hole already bored in the big disk.  Why doesn't one of
you ambitious guys give it a try in place of looking for expensive
insulating material?

Ed