RE: differential probes

Hi Malcolm,

>I haven't downloaded the file as I don't have a suitable program to
>open it with available on the NW. I do have a tip to deal with the
>problem mentioned in the previous paragraph: the way to increase the
>isolation barrier without consuming a lot of board space is to
>physically cut a slot in the board across the isolation barrier. This
>gets rid of the problem of surface tracking. I presume fibreglass is
>the material of choice for this board? <paxolin or anything like it
>is OUT>.
>
>Malcolm
><snip>

That is a very good idea!  Tracking under these long resistors could be a
big problem especially with a little left over flux.

Jimmy - Could we drill 4 big holes under the resistors?

Also, I think hooking to the board with very thin wire and then having
spark gaps on the board to take "bad" events is the way to go.  Maybe
solder "BB's" or 1/4 inch balls to the board at some spacing.  The spark
gaps could take a big high voltage high current hit (arc at 2500V) and then
the thin wires could blow apart and basically take things out of the
circuit.  I'll see if I can figure something simple out there...

Cheers,

         Terry