Fw: 6'' inch pipe, pvc, and losss at high Freq, was, is now VTTC, higher freq, verbose

Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>

Subject: 6'' inch pipe, pvc, and losss at high Freq, was, is now VTTC,
higher freq, verbose

 > Hello Ken, Captain, and Friends,
 >
 > Where I live So Cal, agriculture in a deasert drives much of this part of
the State's economy.

 > But let us speak to loss for a moment.. Ah, but those warehouses that
house
 > copious irrigation and irigation and drain pipe.... can drive a coiler
mad. At least this
 > one, as time allows. RQ was big on skin loss, esteemed R. Hull seemed to
care
 > doodlely in his fabulous magnifiers. RQ still has me digging up the yard
 > improve the ground plane to this day.
 >
 > Ha, Ha, they made big time sparks., regardless. Power systems, and I guess
 > tuning, overcome the losses:-)
 >
 > My concern is that all loss is additive, and skin depth becomes more the
 > issue at higher frequencies. Yes disruptive, is not such an issue, however
VTTC or
 > STSC?
 >
 >  Basic question: is it the skin depth that effects the secondary losses
lessoned by
 > (poly coat)? But, what of the primary's? which always seems more massive
for
 > no particular reason, or the primary insulations, PVC? Yea cheap.. what is
the loss factor for few bucks?

 > I am building a three 833a VTTC. I have both  3" and 4" polystyrene coil
 > forms.
 >
 > After I got DR R's sync gap back and more cleanly machined (what a wobble
 > dude:)), way forgiven...must have been a Friday lunch in Wisconsin, I know
a few of those,
 > It seems pristine now ( the set screws could set a Muncie or a Spicer main
shaft), bolted.on my
 > 8" coil, I want to experiment with the srsg, with Freau's phase adjustable
 > phase, anyone experiment with these <sp> hysterisis motors in kind? I hear
they
 > have more tongue..the pristine variac is a Powerstat 10a at 120... anyone
want to calc the cap? Too bad one of >the mounting tabs broke in
shipping.:(  Dr. R's sync motor is either 1/20 HP or so.

 > I have a month off work, imagine that...stuff to do and stuff to enjoy,
much
 > needed.
 >
 > What is the best coil primary coil form (opinions here) for a 4" VTTC,
#28, wound to 22" or so.
 > There be the primary to secondary K issue. Clearly, I have lots of pete
bottles
 > for standoff. It would be running in 400KC(still like that) me guesses.
 >
 > PE is hard to stick to, with small tubing CU tubing in Teflon. Is this
worth
 > the effort?
 >
 > I would love to hear from the esteemed Rzeszotarski, PH.D. re coupling and
 > the K of the Grid coil feedback,  and the primary distance / adjustments..
so that the
 > primary /secondary may be fully adjustable. I am willing to try several
coil
 > forms type/ sizes/ nylon threaded shafts to accomplish this tuning. I have
 > Lots of parts and cap types, (mi Laser, Mica transmitter, Panasonic pulse
 > polyies, and a cool Sangamo .003uf (only 8kv though, 12 a) , a few
traditional
 > transmitter Micas.. lots of MOV transformers. .. looking for a 4-5kv 1.5A
plate
 > or pig if ya got one collecting spiders to do a modulated full wave later
 > maybe... Say, Jim Lux did you say you had some of these... we are nearly
 > neighbors, but, alas that was awhile ago.
 >
 > I am acquiring a boat load of Variacs too, some vintage, which kick old
 > style butt ( way under- rated too:).
 >
 > This since I bought one of those newbies from off shore 20 amp.. Ha Ha,
the meter works
 > good. It adjusts my winder and lighting just fine, but then I do have to
 > fiddle with the core screws, the wire gauge is wimpy too. This anin't no
 > 11or 1256, but does the job for lessor things...
 >
 > Enough ranting , lets do talk about coil K at HF coupling, material
losses,
 > when we are not in the 12KVA range, and your thoughts and flames (longer
 > sparks preferred).
 >I am particuly interested in the primay coil form....and conductor
material, the ideal K in solenoid for both tank and >feed back, and if
multiple coil forms are in order.

Cheers:)) icy drink in big PE which sweats bigtime..good coil topper though,
best to all..