Re: Pacemaker

Hi Ton,

There have been many discussion on this.  You can go to:

http://www.pupman-dot-com/htsearch.html

And search on "pacemakers".

In general, the spark gap puts out the most mean RF "noise" so don't get
too close to that.  The newer pacemakers with defibrillators in them are
reported to be more sensitive to external RF.  Defibrillator pacemakers
have been reported to be fired by Tesla coils.  But these pacemakers are
also reported to be fired by store security scanners and such.  However,
those problems were with older models.  I would think any modern pacemaker
will be pretty tough in regards to radiated RF.

If it were me, I would ask the doctor about the information he has on the
particular type and contact the manufacturer.  If you can find the "right
person" in the design department, they can tell you everything to watch out
for.

Modern pacemakers also record "odd events" and shut down functions if there
seems to be a problem.  This has helped a lot to "fix" RF susceptibility of
pacemakers since real world data is collected and feed back to the
designers.  I would let your doctor know and be sure to monitor if the
pacemaker is having problems.

Pacemakers are pretty common and maybe other coilers here on the list have
them and have studied this subject in detail??

Cheers,

         Terry