Re: MOT supply ballasting

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello Matt.

I used 4 MOT caps in my former 4MOT-Supply and the advantage in higher
output voltage is really obvious.
But I wonder, if one could build a better inductive limiter of some sort.
Most of the big and professional coils I have seen sofar, use a Variac as
variable inductive load.....wonder if the used transformers can deliver
higher voltages so that the effect is less bad.
Currently I use exactly the setup you describe and always wondered what the
voltage might be.....but 7KV sounds really disapointing to me :-(
Unfortunately I can't get hold of more MOT caps ( 8X 1µF / 2,1KV for a total
of 12pcs is what's missing to make it work )
But maybe there is a more effective way of primary current limiting....maybe
one could even "upgrade" the shunts in the mots.....maybe this will give a
more tamely kind of MOT supply ( the high current available can be really a
problem, 'though its fun anyway )
Has anyone ever tried this?

If can get hold of 12MO caps ( 3 at each leg, maybe 2 rows in parallel ? )
thats probably the best way to go.
Some other coiler advised me and it really was a big improvement with the 4
MOT stack, witch 6MOT's I couldn't try sofar.

Good luck

Christoph Bohr