choke

Original poster: "James by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mustang3-at-cox-dot-net>

Hi Group,
     I had a prob with PVC melting when I used it as a form for my choke. I
finally used 1/4" masonite for the coil form. To control my 14.4KV 10KW pole
xmfr I wound a choke consisting of two 500 'strands of #10 house wire on a
form 2 1/2 " sq.(outside dim) X 16" long. Now you will need to rig up an
"overcenter" clamp or similar to keep the core from being pulled into the
choke coil. The pull is very strong. I tried several clamp designs until I
got one that worked. Core can strips of steel, or small 1/16" steel
wire(welding rod). I used 8 lbs. of 1/16 welding rod. Rod was cut to 18"
length. Core form is piece of thin wall PVC(1 1/2"). Rods are glued into
form with "foamy glue". Each and every piece of the core material must be
painted with clear varnish(or similar) to kill the eddy currents. With the
core complely inserted, current is reduced to 20-30 amps. With core removed,
current is 70+ amps or so. This is with the jacob's ladder.
     Happy coiling...right now I'm watching it rain. Thanks to tropical storm
Bill.

Later,

James