Re: capacitance formula

At 08:33 AM 6/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-comcast-dot-net>
>As I read the question it related to the capacitance.  That has nothing to
>do with the voltage.
>
>>In practice,  you would also use equalizing resistors across each capacitor
>>to equalize the voltage across the capacitors.
>
>Yes, but there are only two plates in this capacitor. Physically there is
>only one capacitor. It consists of two plates separated by two different
>dielectrics.
>Ray
>

>>The Captain

Consider that there is an infinitesimally thin virtual capacitor plate
between the two dielectrics. As far as the fields go, it's the same. And,
yes, the dielectric with the lower epsilon (dielectric constant) will have
the lower capacitance and the higher voltage stress.  This is exactly the
phenomenon that makes air bubbles in a dielectric evil.