Re: Tesla Excitation of lamps..I may have asked before

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>Request direction and actual engineering regarding all

>the angles on tesla and other excitation of gases to

>produce for example UV.

         Short version:
         The lamps don't care much how they are powered.
         (Each power scheme requires appropriate current
         limiting.)  DC/AC/'RF' will modulate the
         _intensity_ rather than the frequency of the
         output light.

>What is the method and efficiency and cost?

         To do what?
         ??
         The gas
         (I'm inferring gas filled 'discharge' lamps.)
         requires some energy.  Cheapest is to wire
         'em up.  RF ('tesla') excitation means energy
         losses due to EM radiation from the wires,
         inefficiencies in power supplies.

>How do different frequencies

         of what?
         Light?
         Power?
         Frequency of light output is set by gas type
         and pressure.

         Output amplitude/intensity will vary with
         frequency and intensity of power supply.

>interact and how do you figure the frequency

         Of what?
         Light?
         Power?

>and power input for a particular frequency

         Of light?  For a given gas mix/pressure any
         input (power) frequency will yield similar/same
         light frequency.

>and efficiency out.

>Can one gas mix produce different frequencies due to
>modulation of input.

         _Light_ frequency depends on gas type, to some extent
         on pressure.  MOST gasses have, inherently,
         multiple, narrow 'lines' in their output, with
         the perceived color being the result of the mix.

>How do you decide the dose rate of Hg and other
>materials in a tube loading?

         There are engineering handbooks, likely some web
         resources.
         Roughly, it does not matter how powered.  Lowish gas
         pressures are usual.  Hg vapor has a high UV output,
         while Ar also gives UV, with both having some visible.

         best
         dwp

.