Microcontrollers . . . was: Re: Need a variable-speed...

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <seantaylor-at-attbi-dot-com>

I use the Atmel RISC microcontrollers for quite a lot of stuff.  They're
incredibly ocnvenient and easy to program.  Also, there are several C
compilers/IDEs that you can get (most not free) so you don't have to know
assembly.  I use CVAVR (http://www.hpinfotech.ro) which is specifically for
the AVR series controllers.  That line of controllers has a huge range of
sizes, and has all the I/O and functionality you could want for small to
medium automation type projects, and the best part is, you don't need a
special programmer.  Since they're ISP (In System Programmable) they can be
programmed almost directly from the parallel port of your PC.  Also, if you
need any code (can't guarantee the quality) I've written quite a bit of
interfaces for various devices.  There are also several websites dedicated
to Atmel processors that you can get code and tips from.

I'm working on a couple different projects right now that I'm using Atmel
processors for, one that's main use is timing using a 16 bit timer and an 8
bit timer, both usable as a PWM source.  The other is a PWM based SS AC
voltage and current controller, hopefully capable of 15+ KW.  We'll see how
that turns out, but so far it's been hard to get the current limiting
working if I want a sinusoidal current waveform rather than a cut-off
sinusoid.

Sean Taylor