Re: A more accurate approach to machine induction motor rotors to become synchronous

Original poster: "Rob Judd by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <canska-at-a5-dot-com>

Here's my success story for you: I just recently made my first SRSG. The
motor was an ancient 3/4HP 3450RPM cap start, made by Franklin Electric in
1972. Its a two pole, so I ground two flats.

I simply took the motor apart, removed the rotor, put it in a vice, and did
all the grinding with a bastard file. I reassembled the motor and tested it
every time the flat got another mm wider. I didn't measure it exactly, but
the flat ended up about 1" wide. It very reliably locks into sync at 110V
and slips out of sync at 95V. The motor doesn't seem any hotter (even after
long runs) than it did before modification. If the variac is set for 110V
when power is switched on, it reaches full speed and syncs in less than a
second. I've tried loading the motor down by grabbing the shaft with a
welding glove as hard as I can and it still maintains sync (though the glove
gets real hot really fast), so it didn't loose much torque. I can get more
precise measurements tomorrow if you're interested.

You can see tons of pictures of the entire process at
http://homepage.a5-dot-com/~canska/tesla/view.cgi?folder=Main/RobsCoil/RSG

Rob Judd - canska-at-a5-dot-com

 > Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>