RE: Joining two rolls of wire on the secondary coil

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Unforunately this is very bad indeed and a tesla coiler's worst nightmare.
If you did join two wires together like this, you would greatly compromise
the integrity of the secondary and inhibit performance.  However, I see you
said you were winding
a 4ft x 4" secondary.  Whoa!  Good news.  4ft first of all waaayyy to long
for a secondary coil that is only 4" in diameter.  Thats about a 12:1 h/d
aspect ratio.  Typically, secondary coils are built somewhere between 3:1 to
6:1 aspect ratios.

Therefore, if you already have a 20-28" section of your secondary wound,
then you are finished.  Just keep that.  4 foot is definitely too long
especially if you are using relatively thin wire (24-30AWG)  24 AWG would
give you about 2400 turns and 30 AWG would give you about 4500 turns.
Entirely too many turns.  I think the consensus on the list is that a coil
with about 1200 turns works best.

Hope this helps.

Dan