Re: Oil immersion for 4 MOT stack

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:44 AM 20/06/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Zagarus Rashkae by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <arbitrarily_random-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >To All:
 >
 >I have a 4 MOT stack powering my TC, capacitatively
 >limited to about 150-200mA.  <SNIP> I blew the two
 >outer MOTs on the stack.
 >
 >I revamped the stack with 2 new MOTs, some silicone
 >insulation, and some PVC HV bushings on the output.
 >I want to immerse the stack in oil so that I won't
 >blow any more MOTs. I am wondering if non-detergent
 >motor oil will attack the silicone, plexiglas, PVC,
 >polypropylene, vinyl tubing, or polyethylene, since
 >I may be using these plastics in the oil-immersed
 >area.

I CAN'T COMMENT ON THE MOTOR OIL - I'M NO CHEMIST!

 >1) Should I even oil-immerse them in the first place?

DEFINATELY!  USE MINERAL OIL AVAILABLE AT FARM SUPPLY
STORES AS A LAXATIVE AND RELATIVELY CHEAP.

 >2) Where can I get a suitable container?  It needs to
 >be quite exactly 20 inches by 13 inches by 7 inches
 >high.

TRY WALMART IN THE HOUSEWARES SECTION...RUBBERMAID HAS
A WIDE RANGE OF SUITABLE CONTAINERS.  I MOUNTED MY 4
MOT'S ON A POLY CUTTING BOARD WHICH FITTED PERFECTLY
INTO A RUBBERMAID CONTAINER.

 >3) Will it be very heavy?  Without oil it weighs about
 >60 pounds.

THEY MUST BE BIG MOT'S!  MINE WITH OIL WEIGHS 50 LB.

 >Thanks,
 >
 >Chris

GLAD TO HELP OUT A FELLOW COILER.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL