Re: MOT Wiring

Original poster: "Bunnykiller by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
>

>Just got my MOTs for my VTTC.  Anyways just had some questions on how these
>things are wired up.
>
> >From my initial inspection, one side of hv output is frame grounded, and
>other has a single output wire.
>
>On the low voltage size, there are two red wires coming out and two
>terminals as well.  Also, it appears
>the red wires after the terminals form another series winding on the
>primary.
>
>Whats the typical way to apply power to these things for Tesla use?
>
>Thanks

the typical MOT xfrmr has 3 windings on it ...   a low voltage filament
winding ( normally 3-5 v) and the Hi volt winding ( 2Kv ac...before the
diode) and the primary winding.   The Hi volt winding feeds into the center
tap of the low volt winding or the diode( normally into the diode)
...   the core of the Xfmr is the "ground" of the hi volt side...  if you
look carefully... you will notice the 3 different sets of windings...  the
lo volt set ( filament voltage) will ( in a normal MOT) be between the
primary coil (normally on the bottom of the transformer) and the uppermost
coil ( the hi volt coil) which consists of about 3-5 wraps of equal
thickness wire as the primary winding ( the thicker wire) but with
additional insulation. the hi volt winding is usually the thinner wire that
has one wire exiting the MOT core and the other wire from the hi volt side
is attached to the transformer core.

if you energize the primary coil ( the multiple thick core with 120VAC you
will have ....   approximately 2KVAC from the thin wire core...  to test
operational factors of the xfrmr, place the single wire from the thin wire
core next to the transformer core ...  a healthy arc should occur... BE
WARNED...   the voltages present in the secondary ( hi voltage side)  wired
core CAN BE LEATHAL....    use an insulated material to move the hi volt
wire to the core...

the primary winding usually has a black and a white wire ...  the filament
set has 2 red wires...  the hi voltage has 1 red wire from it and one to
the core....   by placing the red wire from the "thin wired core " near the
core itself will produce a wicked arc ( in the magnitude of  MOTS)

you can in most cases remove the filament windings from the MOT xfmr with
little or no problem.... this will leave you with a xfmr that will produce
2KVAC +\- 500VAC...   you can if need be, remove the thin wire from the
xfmr core and feed it to the diode set to produce a rippled 2500VDC ...   (
rough estimate)

be careful    the amps output from a MOT are dangerous...

Scot D