Re: Dangers of SSTCs ! ! ! Measured

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

Spark gap type coils produce large (like, very large) peak currents
and relatively low average currents.

SSTC's/VTTC's produce more average current and not as much peak
current.

I'm not sure which is worse for a human body...

Anyhow, I'll be the first one to admit, I've pulled some massive
flaming continous RF arcs off the top of my feedback SSTC's (like
what comes off of a MOT) with handheld metal objects. There is
probably over an amp of output current in the discharge, and even
considering this, I haven't *twitch twitch* noticed any odd effects
as of yet. I have only done this a couple of isolated times, and use
an arc rod for testing sparklengths 99% of the time.

No doubt, the field around these things exceeds public "allowable
limits" by MANY times. The effects of electric and/or magnetic fields
on the human body isn't fully understood by anyone...and I imagine
that's why the maximum limits are incredibly small.

I'm pretty concerned about my 2.4Ghz cordless phone being held next
to my brain for hours a day. It, like SSTC's, has to do SOMETHING.

Thoughts/comments/flames welcome as always...

Take care,

Justin Hays, www.hvguy-dot-com