Vttc's

Original poster: "James by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mustang3-at-cox-dot-net>

Hi Group,
     I sure am glad to see all the interest in the toob coils. I have a
good performing horizontal coil. It produces 27 inch sparks using a 5868
triode tube. These are industrial toobs rated for 500W. plate dissipation
and most importantly(for tesla coils) have a graphite anode. This means
they can tolerate a severe overload without going gassy. The PS is a MOT
with 1/2 wave doubler. Filament transformer is a rewound MOT. The 5868
needs 10V. on the fils, so my xmfr needed 10 turns of #10 THHN copper wire.
The secondary is 6 in. in diameter, wound with 48 inches of #27 wire.
Resonant freq is 96KHz. I use the mica transmitting caps for the plate coil
cap. The toob Tesla coil puts a real strain on plate caps. You always have
to calculate the current in the tank cap. I have blown several caps by
overcurrent. I'll enclose a couple of pictures of it. I also have a WMA
video of it when it was using two 304TL tubes. I can email this if any
would like it.
     My vertical toob coil uses two 5868's in parallel. The secondary is 6
in. in diameter, wound to 27 in length with #27 wire. It's resonant at
153KHz. With 8 - 9 KW input power it makes 36 inch sparks. It's PS is a big
transformer, 6000 volts at 1A(rated).
                                                                                                             Later,
                                                                                                                James