Re: Tesla Coil Operation (getting OT)

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Ralph Zekelman by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gridleak-at-bluemarble-dot-net>

 > Henry and John C., (lots of snip snip)
 >
 >  >>Ralph -
 >
 > My physics book gave me yet another meaning for EMF. The book gave units for
 > EMF as joules per coulomb. >>>>This is definitely electrical energy but the
 > word
 > is EMForce and force is not energy. Could it be the reason that Faraday
 > never used EMF to describe induction?<<<<<
 >
 > What's in a name? EMF is a measure of the energy required to separate
charges
 > to establish a seat of electromotive force. That energy is measured in
Joules /
 > Coulomb which causes all the confusion.
 >
 >  >>>> I have not found that Faraday ever
 > used EMF in describing his experiments. He used induced, induction, and
 > "inductive electrical action".
 > John Couture<<<
 > -------------------------------
 > It's interesting that you are researching Faraday' experiments. I doubt that
 > either Faraday or Henry gave any thought to a "seat of emf" as their
 > experiments
 > established the principles of electromagnetic induction based on a motional
 > seat of electromotive force. A chemical or an electrostatic (VDG, Wimshurst,
 > etc.,) would not have entered into their experiments.

	Both were well acquainted with electrostatic principles and
measurements, which were developed during the 18th century.  In
particular both were aware of the work of Coulomb, who made the first
precise measurements of the forces between charged bodies.

	For those who are interested in the nomenclature of units I would
suggest looking at this NIST web page:

	"physics.nst.gov/cuu/Units/units.html" (hope I typed that right)

It defines "electromotive force" and "electric potential difference",
units are volts, and that 1 volt is one watt/ampere, watts as
joules/second, and joules as Newton-meters (a unit of work).  Go
figure...  Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.  Neither Coulomb,
Faraday, Henry, Ampere or any of the other pioneers of physics would
have been confused as to the concepts involved.

	For those who might be interested in the works of Coulomb, Faraday, and
many others Amazon sells a neat little book called "Great Experiments in
Physics" and the price is around ten bucks as I remember.  Goes from
Galileo to Einstein, and deserves a place on the book shelf of anyone
interested in the history of physics.  Recommended reading!

Ed