Re: Tesla Coil Operation (getting OT)

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

EMF = electromotive force.

The "force" is the force between electric charges. The electromotive force
is the voltage potential (or possibility) to do work. When the potential
difference between 2 charges "forces" a 3rd charge to move, the charge "in
motion" is an electric current. The "volt" is a measure of the work
"needed" to move an electric charge. When 0.7376 ft-lb of work is required
to move 6.25 x 10^18 electrons between 2 points (each with it's own
charge), the potential difference is 1 volt.
6.25 x 10^18 electrons = 1 coulomb.
0.7376 ft-lb of work = 1 joule, which is the metric unit of work or energy.

John, I agree with the first 3 definitions below, but EMF is not work. EMF
is only the "potential to do work" and applies either to the voltage
generated by a source or to the voltage drop across a passive component,
such a resistor.

I think what is being confused in EMF is the "motive", assuming this
indicates a charge in motion, which it is not. It is the potential or
possibility to move a charge. The EMF unit is volt.

It is correctly understood that "1 volt has the potential to do 1 joule of
work per coulomb of charge". However, often we will read (including text
books) that "1 volt equals 1 joule of work per coulomb of charge". The
problem is the word "equals" indicates a possibility to do work, not the
actual work.

Take care,
Bart