Re: VTTC Operation and Filament Warm-up

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi,

I am definately no expert about tubes.  But with my 833A coil, i usually
give the fils at least 15 seconds to heat up.  And with this power up surge
idea being mentioned, i took an extra step and added a 25 ohm 25 watt power
resistor on the 120V side of my 10v 20A transformer.  I added a little
switch to bypass the resistor.  With the resistance, there is no surge, and
the fils glow at about 1/2 brightness.  I let that go for a few seconds,
then flip the bypass switch, and now were at full brightness :)  I did
actually hear a large surge sometimes with these tubes upon turning the
filament supply on.  Now, everything is quiet and smooth.  Also note that
25watts for this resistor is terribly underrated!  So the warmup can only
be about 5 seconds at most, before that resistor is sizzling hot!  But it
works fine now, so it works for me.  It may be wiser to use a 100watt
resistor if you want a prolonged warmup time (i cant see why though).  I
wish i would have done this with the 304TL's :(

Steve Ward.