Re: Vintage 10,000 volt DC 1ma supply for sale.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/21/03 9:12:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>However I don't
>think (I could be wrong, and frequently am) but I don't think that you
>could crush coins with it. There isn't enough amperage to maintain the
>charge in the cap/charge it fast enough to make it work.
>

>Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1

Duck, Captain, all,

Sure, you could charge a quarter shrinker cap with a 10 kv, 1 mA power
supply, but that would depend on how long that you want to spend
charging up the huge capacitor for the one-time discharge pulse to
shrink the quarter, crush the can, ect. I figure that at only 10 vA per
second it would take 1000 seconds (nearly 17 minutes) to fully charge
a 10 kJ capacitor, in the best case scenario. I know that it's not quite
as simple as just that and that it would likely take even longer.
And if the cap tended to leak off a little of its charge, you may never
be able to fully charge it.

Sparkn' in Memphis,
David Rieben