RE: coil inductance

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Chris -

The JHCTES Ver 3.3 program can be used to do what you are looking for. Click
on

     http://www.mgte-dot-com

Click Tesla, then JHCTES (Books)
Go to the bottom of the book page and click on
   JHCTES Ver 3.3
This is an on-line program

To give you an idea of the versatility of the program.

With the default example change only the primary capacitor input from .02 to
.0001 uf
Click on "Calculate"

For a flat spiral coil the outputs will be
    Pri Ind        =   8.79 mh
    Pri turns      = 141.0
    Pri lgt        = 517.07 inches
    Pri c/c wire   =  .04 inches tot dia.

Then change only the pri avg rad = 8.5 and width turns = 11.0
Click on "Calculate"
The pri outputs will be
    Pri Ind         =    8786 uh
    Pri turns       =  151.6
    Pri lgt         =  674.71 inches
    Pri c/c wire    =     .07 inches tot dia.

Note in the above the Pri Ind did not change. To change the Pri Inductance
change the Secondary inputs.

Change only the sec toroid capacitance from 15 to 50 pf
Click on "Calculate"
The pri outputs will be
    Pri Ind          =     21174 uh
    Pri turns        =    235.35
    Pri lgt          =   1047.43 inches
    Pri c/c          =       .05 inches tot dia.

There are hundreds of combinations. The wire dia can be changed by changing
the pri width of turns input, etc. The inside  and outside radius can be
changed by changing the Avg Radius in the primary inputs, etc. All of the
parameters of the flat spiral winding can be changed using this program.
This is the Wheeler program for flat spirals. Some of the inputs are limited
to avoid errors. Ignore the mutual inductance and the coupling. The Pri to
Sec clearance in the outputs can be ignored because there will be no
secondary coil. It takes a little time to learn how to use the program but
you will find it is worth the time.

John Couture