Re: coil inductance

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

Chris,

Fantc runs analysis on flat, helical, cones, inverted cones (as long as
there are no curves along the length). However, Fantc is an analysis, not a
coil design software. Thus, turns are input by the user. When I wound my
flat secondary way back when, I used a combination of two programs to get
the information. I trust Fantc's analysis of inductance's, capacitance's,
Fres values. I'm not so trusting of the other programs regarding these
specific items on off-beat coil types. I use JavaTC as my second program,
but I suspect WinTesla, JHCTES, etc.. could also be used in conjunction
with Fantc. I can't give specifics on those other programs, but for JavaTC,
I actually modeled the flat secondary winding where I would normally input
the primary (it handles 0 thru 90 degrees).

When I did this for my flat coil, JavaTC handled the dimensional info. I
then simply open up Fantc in a separate browser window and use the
dimensional info from JavaTC for Fantc. Then I can get reliable C, L, and
Fres info (among other things). Fantc modeled the flat coil very well and
accurate to measurement. Both programs as you know are at my web site.

http://www.classictesla-dot-com/

It's possible some of the other programs could be used similarly (run sec
info in pri inputs).

Take care,
Bart