Post from newbie

Original poster: "JERRY ASHLEY by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jerryla-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Hi,

My name is Jerry.  I have been a ham radio operator for the past 50
years but I am new to tesla coils.  I just retired and have more time to
build "stuff".  I have worked as an electronic tech for most of my life
and have built a lot of ham gear, including transmitters, receivers and
antennas from the HF bands up through 432 MHz.  Power levels up to 1000
watts.

I have been reading the mail for about six months but I have not seen
much info on tetrode tube coils.

I have a 4-1000A tube and would like to try my hand at building a VTTC.
I plan to use six MOTs wired in series/parallel to give twice the
voltage and three times the current of a single transformer.  This
should supply 4 to 5 KV at about 700 mA, close to the specs of the
tube.  I plan to connect the raw AC directly to the plate tank of the
tube.  I am going to use the tube in a triode configuration by
connecting a 10K resistor between the control and screen grid and feed
the input signal to the screen.

I would appreciate any comments on this design.

Would I need PFC caps on the MOTs?

I have some questions concerning the design of the primary and secondary
coils.  A ballpark design in this area would help me a lot.

Primary diameter?
Primary wire size?
Number of turns?

Secondary diameter?
Secondary wire size?
Number of turns?

Number of turns on the grid coil?

Size of grid leak components?

I have some large mica transmitting caps to use in the grid leak and
primary tank.

Thanks,  Jerry  -  W8UJX