RE: Post from newbie

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Welcome to the group.  That would be definitely some VTTC.  However, based
on the fact you are asking the questions
below, I think a 3.5kW VTTC might be a poor choice for a beginner's coil
especially when its your first one.  I'm not
trying to be harsh and hope you don't take it the wrong way.  But I'm a firm
believer in that tesla coilers should build
small coils first and work they're way up.  Perhaps building an 811A, 304TL,
833A or similar VTTC first which designs are readily available and proven
would be a great step. That is the step I am taking first.  I eventually
want to build a high power VTTC using a very large EIMAC triode tube, but I
wanted to build an 833A VTTC first to get some experience in how these VTTCs
work.

The Captain

Hi,

My name is Jerry.  I have been a ham radio operator for the past 50
years but I am new to tesla coils.  I just retired and have more time to
build "stuff".  I have worked as an electronic tech for most of my life
and have built a lot of ham gear, including transmitters, receivers and
antennas from the HF bands up through 432 MHz.  Power levels up to 1000
watts.

I have been reading the mail for about six months but I have not seen
much info on tetrode tube coils.

I have a 4-1000A tube and would like to try my hand at building a VTTC.
I plan to use six MOTs wired in series/parallel to give twice the
voltage and three times the current of a single transformer.  This
should supply 4 to 5 KV at about 700 mA, close to the specs of the
tube.  I plan to connect the raw AC directly to the plate tank of the
tube.  I am going to use the tube in a triode configuration by
connecting a 10K resistor between the control and screen grid and feed
the input signal to the screen.

I would appreciate any comments on this design.

Would I need PFC caps on the MOTs?

I have some questions concerning the design of the primary and secondary
coils.  A ballpark design in this area would help me a lot.

Primary diameter?
Primary wire size?
Number of turns?

Secondary diameter?
Secondary wire size?
Number of turns?

Number of turns on the grid coil?

Size of grid leak components?

I have some large mica transmitting caps to use in the grid leak and
primary tank.

Thanks,  Jerry  -  W8UJX