RE: MMC wiring

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Unless you are using a very small NST or similar, yes.  For very short
distances (such as tying the ends of multiple
MMC strings together which may only be 0.5-1.0"), 12 AWG wire may be fine as
a bus bar.  But, for a long connection
such as from the MMC to the primary (>1 ft usually), its probably too small
of wire.  Of course it will still work, but
you probably would get better performance and less losses from a much
thicker wire.  Remember, my response below only
refers to the connections between parallel strings of MMCs.  It does NOT
apply for major interconnects between
components where conductor length is relatively significant.

The Captain

So would using 12 gauge house wire be too small for the wire that's leading
up to the primary? I am currently using about 2 feet to hook it up to the
inside turn. And, if so, should I replace all of the wire that is hooking
up the rest of the coil? (same gauge)

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz "

Chris,

I see lots of people using some VERY serious bus-bar type connections at the
ends of their MMCs and a lot of people
will swear by this. And it does look very nice and professional, however
if you look at your MMC, any single series
connection between the capacitors is only by the capacitor lead itself which
is such a small conductor in comparison.
Its kind of like having an onramp to a major highway with 50 lanes and then
the highway itself is only 2 lanes.

The Captain

  >Ok, I want to make sure I'll do this right the next time so I won't repeat
  >the same mistake over, and over etc. What is the best way to wire two
  >strings of MMCs together? I'm thinking the simplest way would be to solder
&gt!
;a wire across the end leads, then solder the wires that go to the primary
  >and spark gap onto those new connections. Would this work? Is there a
  >better (not overly expensive) way?
  >
  >-Chris

I use brass straps as shown at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/big-MMC.jpg